In preparation for our upcoming day hike please review the following Day Hike Checklist. Troop 505 Scouts should always be prepared with The Twelve Day Hike Essentials while hiking (your Patrol leader will be checking).
1. Navigation: Map (w/protective case), Compass, GPS (optional).
2. Sun protection: Sunscreen and lip balm, Skin-shielding hat and clothing, Sunglasses (optional).
3. Rain protection: Waterproof/breathable rain jacket with hood and Waterproof/breathable rain pants or Poncho.
4. Illumination: Headlamp or flashlight, Extra batteries.
5. First-aid supplies: First-aid kit (see Troop 505 First-aid kit checklist).
6. Fire: Matches or lighter, Fire starter, Waterproof container.
7. Tools: Knife and/or Multi-tool, Duct tape, bandana.
8. Nutrition: Energy bars, trail mix, extra day’s supply of food.
9. Hydration: Water bottle w/water, Water filter (only if required).
10. Shelter: Reflective blanket (or tent, tarp, bivy).
11. Proper footwear: Boots or shoes suited to terrain w/synthetic or wool Socks.
12. Insulation: Insulating jacket/vest/pants (see Troop 505 Recommended Day Hike Clothing Checklist below).
Other than The Twelve Day Hike Essentials (although not required), you should consider bringing the following: Daypack, Gaiters, Water sandals, Multifunction watch w/altimeter, Camera, Binoculars, Trekking poles, Field guide(s), Insect repellent, Toilet paper, Trowel, Two-way radios, Cell phone, Utensils, Cups, Trash Bag, Notepad w/pencils, Itinerary.
Troop 505 Recommended Day Hike Clothing Checklist: In warm weather; 1. Wicking T-shirt, 2. Wicking underwear, 3. Quick drying pants/shorts, 4. Long-sleeve shirt, 5. Hat, 6. Insulating jacket or vest. In cool weather; 1. Wicking long-sleeve T-shirt, 2.Wicking long underwear, 3. Hat, 4. Gloves, 5. Waterproof/breathable rain jacket with hood, 6. Waterproof/breathable rain pants, 7. Insulating jacket/vest/pants (fleece).